mortgage assistance Support

Applying for Mortgage Assistance

We love our customers and their homes. We also know that sometimes life can throw us a curve ball. That's why we're here for you and have made applying for mortgage assistance a straightforward process. We'll have to get necessary documentation in order to give you the relief you need.

Please note: If you're currently engaged in active bankruptcy, you should always consult with your attorney before starting a mortgage assistance application.

Start the online application process


If you don't have an online account, click here to find the appropriate form to manually fill it out. If you have further questions, you may contact customer service at 888-464-2432.

Required Documents

Now for the second step: Gathering the documents that may be required by the government and/or investors for review.

The number of documents you will need to submit can vary based on your situation. You can download the first three below.

It is important to understand that if too much time elapses between document submissions, the earlier documents you submit may expire and no longer be valid by the time you submit all required documents.

Here are documents you may need to submit. Please call us at 888-464-2432 if you are unsure which documents are required to support your application.

IRS Form 4506-C

This form gives UWM the right to request a copy of the federal tax return(s) you filed with the IRS. Downloadfor IRS-4506T-EZ FORM (Opens New Window).


This form is used to explain the nature of your financial difficulties and your reason or reasons for requesting assistance. Downloadfor hardship affidavit form (Opens New Window).

Dodd-Frank Form

This form certifies you have not been convicted of any crimes associated with a mortgage or real estate transaction within the past ten years. Downloadfor DODD-FRANK FORM (Opens New Window).

Proof of Income

In order to complete the process, you're going to need to show various proofs of your income.


Pay stubs covering at least 30 consecutive days, dated within the last 90 days. Stubs must display your name, your employer's name, the pay period and your year-to-date earnings and deductions. If your pay stubs are missing any of these components, please provide a letter of explanation.

If you are a contract employee who does not have federal taxes deducted, please follow the self-employment guidelines below.


  • A Profit and Loss (P&L) statement for the most recent quarter or your year-to-date earnings. The statement must include your business name, the earnings period and itemized business expenses such as wi-fi, phone, office space and business travel, etc. If you pay wages to employees and/or yourself, you must include a breakdown of the wages paid.
  • A copy of your most recent federal tax return, with all schedules signed and dated.
  • The schedule K1 from the business tax return if the business income is associated with a corporation or partnership.


  • A copy of all rental lease agreements signed and dated. These must include the property address, rental amount, borrower and tenant signatures and start and end dates of the lease.
  • A letter of explanation if the agreements are missing any of the above-listed information.
  • Two months' proof of receipt of this income dated within the last 90 days. Rental receipts, copies of tenant checks, bank statements with rental deposits and money orders are all acceptable forms for this.
  • Proof of principal, interest, property taxes and homeowner's insurance for each rental property. If the property is paid off, please provide a letter of explanation.
  • A copy of your most recent federal personal tax return, with all schedules signed and dated.


  • A copy of your current award letter or other proof of expected monthly income.
  • Two months' proof of receipt of this income, dated within the last 90 days. Acceptable examples include bank statements, copies of checks, transaction history or monthly statements.


  • A copy of your current unemployment award letter.
  • One month's proof of receipt of your unemployment income.


  • Court-recorded documentation that shows your expected monthly income.
  • Two months' proof of receipt of this income, dated within the last 90 days. Acceptable examples include bank statements, copies of checks or transaction history.
  • A letter of explanation for any discrepancies between your expected income and the amount you're able to prove.


  • A detailed letter of explanation describing the income source, amount and frequency.
  • Two months' proof of receipt of the income, dated within the last 90 days.

NOTE: Depending on the requirements of the investor/guarantor of your mortgage, additional information may be required as your application progresses.

You'll also need to provide information about occupying non-borrowers if applicable. An occupying non-borrower is someone who lives at the property and contributes toward the mortgage but who is not on the loan. Examples might include a roommate or someone renting a room in the house from you.

If you have an occupying non-borrower in the residence, they need to do the following:

If the occupying non-borrower is not contributing 100% of their income to the household, they must provide a Contribution Statement. This is a letter verifying they live in the home and stating how much money they contribute each month to the mortgage.

The fastest way to get your application in is to complete it online and upload your documents. Click herefor hardship affidavit form to get started now. If you would prefer to fill out your application by hand, click herefor hardship affidavit form(Opens New Window) to view and print it.

To avoid delays, please make sure the application is filled out completely and legibly. Once complete, please send your application and all supporting documents to the fax number or mailing address below:

FAX: 469-322-3899


P.O. Box 619097
Dallas, TX 75261-0783

If you need assistance or have questions please call us at 888-464-2432.

Beware of Fraud

Unfortunately, there are bad people out there who take advantage of homeowners seeking help with their mortgage. We want to be sure you don’t fall for any scams.

If you get a phone call, letter, or email about your mortgage that seems suspicious (especially if it asks you to make a payment or agree to trial mortgage terms) please call us right away at 888-464-2432. We’ll check our records and let you know if it’s legitimate or not.

Here are a few common “red flags” that indicate a communication is likely a scam:

  • Contact phone numbers that do not begin with a toll-free area code (e.g., 800, 855, 866, etc.). We never provide personal or cell phone contact numbers in official communications related to homeowner assistance.
  • A trial or modification agreement from the “Underwriting Department.” Our underwriting department never sends notifications directly to customers.
  • Requests to make payments with “unconventional” methods. These may include a prepaid/”Green Dot” debit card, or a Western Union/Moneygram wire to an individual. You can always review our official payment method options. If a requested method doesn’t exactly match one on the list, please call us immediately.
  • Requests for up-front or advance payment to begin the modification, refinancing, or reinstatement application process. We never charge fees for applying or approving loan modifications.
  • Advice to start making payments to any third party instead of us for any reason.
  • Pressure to make any commitments you don’t fully understand. Be especially careful if you’re pressured to sign over your deed or sign any paperwork you haven’t had a chance to fully review and ask questions about.

The phrases “government approved” or “official government” in descriptions of loan modification offers.

Finally, if you have been making payments you have been led to believe are going towards a trial or modification agreement, but we have no record of them, something’s wrong. Please call us as soon as possible so we can look into it and determine if fraud is involved.

Note: The form/s on this page require Adobe Reader software to view and print. You can get the software for free hereGet Adobe Reader.