mortgage assistance Support

Falling behind on your mortgage can be stressful. But it's never hopeless. Here are a few options that could help. Remember, you've got a whole team behind you working to figure this out.


One way to attack this problem is by seeing if we can get you a lower rate and reduce your monthly payment by refinancing your loan.

In order to do this, you do need to be current for a minimum of six months, with no more than one late payment in the last 12 months along with additional eligibility factors. So if you're not behind on your mortgage but making payments is getting harder, this is a really strong option. You've worked hard to keep your part of the bargain and stay current, you deserve the chance to refinance and continue on that path.

UWM offers a variety of mortgage products, so you'll have a lot of flexibility. You can refinance your current loan or convert an Adjustable-Rate Mortgage to a Fixed-Rate Mortgage and lock in a low rate for the life of your loan. The application and appraisal process are streamlined, so you can focus on getting control of your financial situation quickly.


Let's say a financial hiccup like an injury had you temporarily out of work. Unfortunately, the lack of income combined with the unexpected medical expenses made it impossible to cover the mortgage. In a situation of temporary hardship like this, a repayment plan could be the answer.

Repayment plans work like this: Once you're back on your feet and getting your normal salary, you can add small amounts to your regular payment over a period of time of up to six months. That way, you can catch up over time rather than trying to do it all at once.

If you think repayment could work for you, call 888-464-2432 to speak to a loan specialist and start the process.


If you're facing a long-term hardship, a repayment plan may not work for you, and you may not qualify to refinance your loan. However, there are other options to consider and we are always here to work with you and find the best one.

One alternative may be loan modification if you are eligible. It's different from refinancing in that it changes the terms of the existing loan to help you better afford your payments. We have many different modification programs available.

There are some things we review to see if modification is right for you. These could include whether you've had any previous modifications, the amount of principal owed and how far behind you are on your payments, as well as other factors. We'll work with you to see if modification makes sense. If it doesn't, don't get discouraged. There are other options available.

If modification is a possibility, required documents may include previous tax returns, bank statements, pay stubs and other materials that verify your income. If you can't find something, don't worry. We'll get started with what you can give us, and work with you to complete the requirements.

You'll find additional document requirements and eligibility factors hereRead More [About additional document requirements].

By filling out the UBAF(Opens a new window) form, you can help us match you to the best option. It is essential that we receive your completed application and all necessary supporting documentation as soon as possible, especially if you are already in any phase of the foreclosure process.

Unless your property is in the state of Nevada, until all documents are received you may continue to receive collection or foreclosure notices, a foreclosure process may be initiated or, if the foreclosure has already been initiated, the foreclosure process will continue.

Once we receive all of your documentation we will seek to halt any foreclosure proceedings or sales. Please note, however, that if the documents are submitted too close to a scheduled foreclosure sale, judges or officials charged with carrying out the foreclosure sale may not allow us to halt the sale.

You should never ignore foreclosure notices on the basis that you are in the process of submitting an application.

We want to do everything we can to help you quickly complete your application, locate and submit all supporting documentation and ultimately keep your home. Please don't wait to review the application criteria and list of documentation requiredDetails for application process.

If you need help with your application or documents, please call one of our loan specialists right away at 888-464-2432.

Short Sale

In the event that you prefer to leave your home or it is not financially feasible to keep it, there are alternatives that can enable you to surrender your property and have a fresh start without undergoing a foreclosure. One such alternative is a short sale.

A short sale means you're selling your home for less than you owe on the mortgage.

If you're approved for this option and able to sell your home, you can use the proceeds to reduce or even eliminate your mortgage debt, and avoid the negative impact of a foreclosure.

To get started, here's what you need to do:

  • Fill out the UBAF(Opens a new window) form or apply online hereloan mod application form.

  • You can email completed forms to [email protected] or fax it to 469-322-3899.
  • Note: Other investor approvals may be needed outside of UWM. If you'd like to speak to a loan specialist, call 888-464-2432


    If you're unable to do a short sale, you still have another option: a Deed-In-Lieu of foreclosure.

    A Deed-In-Lieu allows you to transfer ownership of your home to your lender in order to avoid the negative impact of foreclosure on your credit and overall financial situation. This takes the burden of your mortgage off your shoulders, and helps reduce or even eliminate your mortgage debt.

    You'll also have adequate time to come to terms with the move and transition out of your home. This is subject to investor approval, and there are some eligibility factors including proof of financial hardship.

    You'll need to complete the Statement of Information form during the Deed-in-Lieu process.

    Call a loan specialist at 888-464-2432 to learn more.

    Note: The form/s on this page require Adobe Reader software to view and print. You can get the software for free hereGet Adobe Reader.